Tuesday, February 28, 2012

SAD Mag

SAD Mag's creative director, Brandon Gaukel, approached me to photograph a handful of locations in downtown Vancouver, all of which were formerly gay-friendly dance/disco clubs from the '70s and '80s. I had no idea of the storied history of disco in Vancouver. Pick up the current issue of Sad Mag for more info. Brandon gave me creative freedom to shoot how and when I wanted. All of these locations by day are pretty standard looking- condo's, an open pit construction site, retail and a restaurant. After scouting during the day I decided to to get up in the middle of the night and shoot all of the locations before the sun came up.

location 1 / The former home of The Odyssey:

Location 2 / The former home of the Hampton Court Club: 
Location 3 / The former home of 616 Club:


2 comments:

Leigh Righton said...

Cool concept and wonderful photos!

Grant Harder - Vancouver Photographer - portrait, travel and life said...

Thanks Leigh! I hope you're well.