Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Celebratory trip to Portland

Well, she's officially a ticketed carpenter with her Red Seal. I'm pretty proud, to say the least. 

To celebrate Paige's recent graduation from her carpentry apprenticeship program we took a surprise trip to Portland via Amtrak. Trains rule and so do bikes, which we brought with us. Portland is always described as being like Vancouver except better. I'm not going to say that our fair city is any less than that of Portland but I will say that it is worthy of the hype- great restaurants and bars, friendly people, good vintage shopping, bike lanes galore, food carts, Powell's Books and the list goes on. Have you heard of the ACE Hotel? Of course you have. I tried to not get my hopes up too high on what this well talked about hotel has to offer...but I did and the Ace did not disappoint. You can read about the turntables, records, vintage-military-modern decor and original artwork on a million other blogs. All of this style wouldn't amount to much without great service, which I would describe as welcoming, generous and informative- easily my favorite hotel that I've ever stayed in.
Portland- We'll be back...but maybe in the summer next time. We get enough rain up here as it is.




What doughnut did I get at Voodoo Doughnuts?
 The Old Dirty Bastard, obviously.

0 comments: